About the Journal
The journal is interested in both research and review papers that explore the following themes:
- Regional and local development at various scales, and place-based initiatives.
- Contemporary spatial governance dynamics, approaches, and tools
- Spatial planning initiatives and new territorial/multi-level processes
- Spatial justice and territorial cohesion as principles and as policy concepts, and measures against spatial disparities and territorial imbalances at various scales.
- Emerging territorial issues, various forms of spatiality, new urban/territorial configurations.
- Cross-border, trans-scalar, and tailored regions, their institutional settings, and associated spatial policy instruments.
- Supra-national policy agendas, i.e. the Sustainable Development Goals, the EU Territorial Agenda, the EU Urban Agenda, etc.
- Institutional changes and reforms in planning systems, and Europeanisation dynamics.
- EU cohesion policy and policymaking, and EU-led policy tools.
The European focus of the journal makes explicit reference to:
- EU policies and/or instruments as subject of investigation.
- Cross-country comparisons.
- European-wide planning challenges, themes or emerging practices.
- Supranational agendas and policy narratives.
The European Journal of Spatial Development (EJSD) is published by Politecnico di Torino, Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24 - 10129 Torino, Italy.
Chief Editor & Journal Management @Dist Department, Full and S3+Lab, Viale Mattioli, 39 - 10125 Torino, Italy. Journal Administrator: EJSD_Admin@polito.it, Fax +390110907499.
It is hosted by Politecnico di Torino’s Open Journal System and Zenodo, an EU-led open access repository.
It is also included in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers maintained by the Norwegian Social Science Data Services (NSD): scientific level 1. You can also find the journal through the Academic Journals Database and the SCImago Journal & Country Rank.
The journal provides personal support to authors free of charge. As the journal also does not raise a fee for the open access contributions this gives the journal a rather unique position. We particularly encourage young scholars to publish and contribute to the journal.
Copyright © 2003-2023 by European Journal of Spatial Development (EJSD). All rights reserved.
Authors are required to include a statement of *funding sources* in their articles. Any *sponsorship* received by the [EJSD] is declared by the Editor-in-chief in the journal pages. The sponsors cannot in any way influence the results of the blind peer review process for the publication of the articles.
History of the journal
The journal was initiated as an open-access journal, which published an article per year within the networks of AESOP. John Moodie (Nordregio) and Wil Zonneveld (TUDelft) took the initiative under the umbrella of Nordregio. The journal was re-initiated in 2020 with the initiative of Umberto Janin Rivolin and Loris Servillo and relocated to Politecnico di Torino, using the Open Journal System standard. As of 2021 Tuna Tasan-Kok and Loris Servillo are the new chief editors.